Testing in Test mode

Hi

I have just finished my shop, but before going live I want to test the entire checkout process.
I am in test mode - but when I enter my credit card details - it still takes the money - I assumed this would ignore the transaction.

I’m using Stripe as my payment gateway, but i can’t put Stripe into test mode, because it’s already being used on the live shop (which I’m replacing with Commerce once complete.)

I know I can go into Stripe and refund the payments etc - but was wondering A: what is the point of test mode in Commerce, and B: How I can test it without it taking funds

I tried the Dummy Test Card details in Stripe, but get the error that they only work when Stripe is in Test mode.

Thanks
ANdy

Make sure you enter your test mode credentials in the gateway configuration. I’m surprised to hear live test credentials even work in test mode.

I’m using Stripe as my payment gateway, but i can’t put Stripe into test mode, because it’s already being used on the live shop (which I’m replacing with Commerce once complete.)

The test mode toggle in your stripe dashboard doesn’t “put stripe in test mode”. It’s not a setting that changes. It just changes the view to show your test transactions, credentials, etc.

In a typical setup I have 2 Stripe gateways configured, one with test creds only available in (commerce) test mode, one with the live creds only available in live mode.

1 Like

Aha - I assumed it prevented any transactions going through - that’s cool then - I can just enter the test credentials - thanks for enlightening me!